Developing a comprehensive management system in the wine-growing sector through adopting new technology (IDI-2005-0288) – CDTI/ADE
Project duration: 3 years
Total budget: €427,400
Company participation/investment: Independent Project
Implementing a comprehensive solution for the management of information in the wine-growing sector, which rather than being an exclusive, singular large automated repository of data, should comprise of a system which allows for creating a “paperless” environment. Such a management system offers greater reliability, security and an improved capacity for information analysis, in turn allowing for a detailed and global vision of all processes, resulting in:
- Significant reduction of human error in transaction registries.
- Stock and cost overview updates in real time.
- Instant updates on operations. Allows automated controls configured on the system to run at specific times (upon surges or changes to automated temperatures, etc.)
A management system should serve as a technological ally to the winemaker, that facilitates the design and manufacture of increasingly diverse and higher quality wines.
To develop a comprehensive management system for the optimization and control of wine production (both on the field and in the winery) and to increase the added value of the final product through use of the latest communication technology and new processing algorithms.
The main aim of the project is to unite all of the winery’s Intranet modules and subsystems and in turn give rise to a comprehensive management system for the winery.
In order to achieve its main aim, the project’s work was directed towards developing five subsystems and modules, which each allow for control of different areas and sections of the production process:
- A warning system that alerts to environmental conditions that could trigger the onset of grape diseases.
- A system for determining the optimal time for harvesting
- An information log and management system, running in real time both remotely and on-site.
- A system for improving the image, traceability guarantee and online control of the winery.
- A system for maintaining the environmental conditions of dispatched products.
The final outcome born of this project was the development of a system for the optimization and control of wine production (both on the field and in the winery), owing to the use of the latest communication technology and new processing algorithms.